Saturday, July 13, 2013

Compost WHAT?

(L-R) Jen, Sara, Darlene, Ariana and Marquia atop Green Hills. 
The moment I went with my family to school the 8th of July to depart the loud city of New York, I knew I was going to experience something new. I personally didn’t know exactly what, but I knew it was going to be big.  As we pulled up to the hostel I felt the sense of reality.  It finally came to be that I was going to be away from everyone I love. But I had to be here. I came slowly accept the fact that I’m here.  So far I really enjoy everything and everyone here. I may have to wake up early and cook my own food but I’m having fun. The places here are beautiful and so unlike New York. It’s amazing. I’m thinking about moving here when I’m older.  

~Darlene Valenzuela


The Paine Cabin at Whitton Pond. 

The first day of work in the Paine’s Cabin was a really fun and amazing experience. Starting the workday with meeting some awesome Leaf Program mentors and being treated with yummy foods. Some of the many interesting and fun things that happened was learning how to use the composting toilet, starting to know each other, swimming and kayaking in the pound and last learning about the Paine’s cabin. I found learning about the Paine’s cabin was the most interesting. The Cabin’s history started when in the 1930’s the Kennett family built it and then the a couple named Charles and Sylvelin Paine bought it. The Paine’s family then donated the cabin and 90 acres of the land to The Nature Conservancy. This had really changed the way on how I view the people and the world because we should all be like the Paine family and do what we can do the help and preserve the world.

~Mei Juan (Jen) Gao


For my first time in New Hampshire the experience so far was really grand. was welcomed by everyone in every way. The people here are really friendly compared to New York City. In the city many people don’t seem to give that New Hampshire smile or  give as much care. For example, Wink really cares about our stay here and really tries for over reaching our expectations on what we thought. He also eased me into entering a kayak. I was extremely scared but he pulled aside the spider webs and guided me how to move. He’s like a cool grandpa that’s teaching you something new.

 
~Ariana Mitchell



Working hard in the rain... 

Soooo Yea. Its really nice here. I really like the fact that the girls are really down to earth. It’s hard getting used to everyone cooking differently from me. I’m not used to sharing a room with people that have different living habits, but it’s a great learning experience. Speaking of something new, I have a completely different definition of the word COMPOSTING….It is something else. I used a composting toilet for the very first time. You use the toilet and then shimmer little bits of wood on your waste. And the coolest part is that its so high so you are on your own throneLol I like it. Ooohhhh and I kayaked for the very first time!!!! Any way I look forward to having tons of fun and learning so much more. I do miss my family and friends :( But I'll survive. I LIKE IT!!!!!


~Marquia Williams




No comments:

Post a Comment