Thursday, July 12, 2012

sur•re•al

Although Daniela is this group's chosen "journalist" this week, all of the LEAF interns wanted a chance to introduce themselves and their individual experiences.  Below are their thoughts.

---
sur·re·al adj \sə-ˈrē(-ə)l also -ˈrā-əl\
marked by the intense irrational  reality of a dream; also: unbelievable, fantastic

Many people would assume living in New York City would be a surreal experience. A place you would hardly ever expect to call surreal: New Hampshire. Yet, in only one day the state has won me over, leaving me in complete awe. Every place I looked seemed to have a painted backdrop – the water, the mountains, the trees, everything simply beautiful. Then night came and I, along with my group, discovered the stars. For many of us it was the first time we were looking at the Milky Way or the Big Dipper outside of our schoolbooks.  We stopped and stared by the side of the road as if in a trance. Besides this we were able to go into Maine for a drive-in movie, something I have personally always wanted to do. And all of this was done after a morning of kayaking and meeting new people. Did I mention people here are incredibly sweet? Because they really are. Now how could anyone call such experience anything but surreal?

 6/10/12 –Daniela Escobar

---

 

I can speak from experience when I say that leaving the city, and pretty much everything you know behind, is hard. Especially when it’s for four weeks with no technology. But, unlike the other girls that I’m with, I have some experience doing it. Being my second year in LEAF I can’t help but compare what happens this year to what happened during the last. The differences, I must say, are astounding. This year, instead of being close to home in southern New Jersey I’m at least 6 hours away from home in one of the northern most states in the country. Each moment I have spent here I am struck by the beauty of the small towns that are scattered among the winding roads and rivers in New Hampshire. Living by the beach has it highlights but I cannot help but take the time to look up at the sky in awe at the stars I can see, and enjoy the clarity of the night air. I’m looking forward to all the new adventures, wonders and first times (which are several……including the simple act of trying squash) New Hampshire has to offer. These next few weeks will prove to be both challenging and rewarding. I can’t wait.
 
6/10/12 – Samantha Hoffman

---

Being a student from the city, I had no idea what was in store for me at LEAF. There were many firsts on our second day here. I. WENT. KAYAKING! It was one of the best experiences of my life. Of course I was a little scared of falling over the side, but I’m alive and kicking! And, according to Megan, I’m a natural. Haha.

New Hampshire is a completely different experience for me. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Daniela, Samantha, Jessica, MS. RUST, and I went stargazing yesterday and I saw the Big Dipper, Orion’s Belt, and the Milky Way, which was AWESOME!!! And this was all in one day! When I look up at the sky, there aren’t any skyscrapers in sight. It’s a refreshing change. Change is what should be embraced wholeheartedly and is what I, as well as the other girls in LEAF New Hampshire, have been doing pretty well with. I can’t wait to experience whatever else LEAF, as well as New Hampshire in all its glory, has in store for me.  

P.S. Ms. Rust has been pestering us to call her Sara…    Never gonna happen! :P

7/11/12- Sharon Peter

---

Since the first time I heard about the LEAF program, I have been anticipating all the activities that we were going to try. However, the actual experience here in New Hampshire has been totally amazing and beyond all of my expectations. Even though this is only the second day, I have had so many “first experiences” already.  For the first time, I have ridden in a canoe, seen a drive-in movie, and gone stargazing in the middle of a deserted road at midnight. All in all, this has already become an unforgettable experience for me. I have always been a very quiet person so I was extremely nervous when I met the other group members for the first time. However, everyone in New Hampshire is really just plain nice. It didn’t take long for me to feel completely at home here. Even these two first days has made this entire trip worthwhile and I can’t wait to see what else New Hampshire and TNC has in store for me.

7/10/12 – Jessica Chen


No comments:

Post a Comment