Tuesday, July 24, 2012

time flies when you're having fun

Hanging out by Great Bay.
It’s really startling to think about how we’re already halfway through our stay in New Hampshire. We’ve been through so much already but I don’t think any one of us feel like we’ve been here for a long time. Time flies when you’re having fun, right?

Along with all the fun we’ve been having outside of work, our work itself has been both educational and enjoyable. Today, it was our first workday in the Great Bay office and, despite me forgetting the group camera at the quaint inn we’re staying in this week, it was great! Andrew, our cool site supervisor, was so informative on the plants in the area around the Great Bay office. This morning he introduced us to several invasive species we’ll be pulling while here, including the multiflora rose (I had no idea that it was invasive……… and after seeing it up close and personal I took particular note of the sharp fishhook-like thorns). He also informed us about several native species such as shag bark hickory, which is called shag bark because of its shaggy bark. After lunch, we cleared a path of weeds that was near by. And, though it was hot and the work was a bit monotonous, we all powered through it. The end product was awesome! The path looked good as new!

While we’ll miss Conway, and all the people in Northern New Hampshire, I know we’ll enjoy it here in Durham. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we can’t wait for all the things this part of New Hampshire has in store.

~Samantha Hoffman 07/23/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment